Copyright © The Malta Historical Society, 2005.
Source: Melita Historica. [Published by the Malta Historical Society]. 4(1965)2(142-143)
VELLA PROF. ANDREW P. — Storja tal-Knisja tal-Lunzjata tal-Birgu, Malta, 1965. pp. 60. illust.
In this booklet in Maltese, (Prof. Vella O.P. gives. us a brief history of the Church of Annunciation at Vittoriosa, from its beginnings to the present day. The Author starts with the advent of the Friars Preachers in that City in -1528, and their installation in the original Lunzjata Church, of which be gives a short description gleaned from old manuscripts. Prof. Vella then speaks of the same church as modified and inaugurated in 1657. This church was greatly damaged by the explosion of a gun-powder magazine in 1806. In 1864, a new look was given to the Church. The Author gives us another description of the church. In the second part of his work, he deals with the original Priory, whose building started in, 1546. It was destroyed in 1941, during the II World War. In the last part Prof. Vella treats, of the temporary abode of the Friars, first in private premises, then in the Inquisitor's Palace, of their sacrifices to perform their religious duties and pastoral work in those awful days. The Author closes his. work with an account of the reconstruction of Church and Priory, which were inaugurated m, 1960.
The text (pp, 4-42) is followed by 3 appendices (43-60). Prof. Vella's work presents us with plenty of information on events, which happened hundreds of year's ago, as well as with events which are still vivid [p.143] in our memory, whose record will serve as a reliable source for the future generations.
This publication is enriched with several illustrations and footnotes indicating the sources of information. We recommend it to the lovers of local History.
Mgr. A. Bonnici