Copyright © The Malta Historical Society, 2005.
Source: Melita Historica : Journal of the Malta Historical Society. 6(1975)4(448)
G. WETTINGER: Il-Ġrajja Bikrija tal-Knisja Matriċi t’Għawdex 1435-1551, R.U.M. Malta, July 1975, 17 pp.
In this new edition of the learned paper about the early history of the Matrice of Gozo which was published last year (See its review in Melita Historica Vol. V, no. 3, p. 333-335), the author has added some new details gleaned from original documents which go back to 1449.
Once more the author asserts that the Church of St Mary has a long history behind it: it was originally refered to as “matrice” in 1435; sometimes the word ‘matrice’ was used to differ the parish church from others in the same area; St James, St Mary ta’ Savina and St George were parishes by the beginning of the 16th century; the Matrice was very popular among the Gozitan upper class.
It is earnestly hoped that the author will publish his study about the socio-economic development of Gozo between 1400-1551 in the near future.