Copyright © The Malta Historical Society, 2005.
Source: Melita Historica. [Published by the Malta Historical Society]. 8(1982)3(268)
Charles Galea Scannura: Tagħ rif Storiku Dwar il-Knisja Parrokkjali ta' Bormla, 1983, 35 pp. illus.
In 1949, the late Canon Joseph Cassar published the first history of the parish church of Cospicua entitled "Żvilupp tal-Qima lejn Marija Verġni Immakulata f'Bormla." Now after years of painstaking research in various archives, C. Galea Scannura, has given us another publication on the same subject.
The book is a concise history of the parish church, with information about the erection of the parish of Cospicua, which according to the author was probably in 1586, and not in 1584 as was until recently asserted, and the parish church from its initial stages till the present structure which was consecrated in 1732.
There are also interesting chapters on the confraternities set up in the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the crucifix which came from Candia, the statue of the Immaculate Conception and other salient points of the history of the parish, such as its elevation to the status of collegiate in 1822, and the solemn crowning of the titular altar piece donated by the poet Canon Ludovico Mifsud Tommasi, by the Papal legate Cardinal Ferrata in June 1905.
For the author, born and bred in Cospicua, this publication was a labour of love. The information it contains is interesting and the book has several illustrations, some of which are rare. It is however to be regretted that, due to lack of space, the author was not given the opportunity to publish the references pertaining to each chapter, and he was only able to publish them in generalized form at the end of the book. However, notwithstanding this shortcoming, the book should make interesting reading, and is without doubt a welcome addition to our ever expanding "Melitensia".
WINSTON LAWRENCE ZAMMIT